Mark of a Hero? More like Marked for Death!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mark of a Hero? More like Marked for Death!

Post by ConnorWL on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 am

I've been having a little bit of trouble with this quest ever since I unlocked it about a week ago. Not sure if it's my gear, my technique or whatever, but I can't seem to get it done. I either run out of faints or run out of time.

First of all, and this might help me a lot, is about the second phase of the mission: which of the two beasties should I focus on first? Brachydios hits hard in rage mode, but Azure seems to be able to get everywhere at once. I've tried to use smoke bombs at one point, they really didn't help as much as I knew they should have.

Next up, my high-rank gear! I'll start with my weaponry. I use switch-axes exclusively, so don't expect me to pick up a lance or hammer for this thing.

My weapons that are most suited for this mission are as follows:
- Sinister Saints, 920 damage, blue sharpness, power phial, three slots (I'll get to that in a moment).
- Hidden Axe, 874 damage, blue sharpness, affinity 30%, poison phial, one slot.
- Dios Axe+, 1012 damage, 250 slime, blue sharpness, power phial.

Weapons I may consider:
- Grimmig Katze, 690 damage, 270 paralyze, green sharpness, power phial, three slots.
- (via upgrade) Finslash+, 828 damage, 200 sleep, blue sharpness, power phial, one slot.

To understand these choices from my collection, you need to take a look at my armour sets.

The main issue I have with Ivory is his power, pure and simple. He hits hard no matter what defence I have.

Ideally, I'd take my signature set of Nargacuga:
- Hidden Axe (Sprinter Jewel)
- Nargacuga Armour (72  defence per piece, set gemmed with Grinder Jewels)
- Talisman with +6 Evasion
- Evasion +2, Speed Sharpening, Sneak, Evade Extender

This set would allow me to probably dodge most of the attacks from all three monsters. The catch? A horrible and crippling weakness to both element types that would hit me if I failed to dodge properly. I'm still considering this set though, maybe swapping out Hidden Axe for the Finslash+ I mentioned for the slot and power phial.

I also have a full Brachydios set:
- Dios Axe+
- Brachydios Armour (74 defence per piece, set gemmed with Grinder Jewels)
- Talisman with two slots, gemmed with Evasion Jewel 2 to get rid of the negative skill.
- Challenger +1, Adrenaline +1, Bombardier, Speed Sharpening

This set has little in the way of offense aside from Challenger, and maybe Adrenaline (but I don't want my health below 40%!) Makes my weapon more offensive with the slime attacks though, and it has a decent resistance to the latter two monsters, but nothing for the Ivory.

My final set is split into two versions, but revolves around a core of a Zinogre set:
- Sinister Saints (gemmed for Evasion +4)
- Zinogre Armour (74 defence per piece, set gemmed with Grinder Jewels)
- Talisman with Evasion +6
- Latent Power +1, Speed Sharpening, Razor Sharp, Thunder Attack +1, Evasion +1, Taunt

This set sacrifices power for more utility. Evasion +1 has helped me a mile against the Ivory, although the different weapon cost me time, which has made me suffer a single "time out" run, which was very successful if I do say so. Which is why I built the same set, but with a few minor changes:

- Dios Axe+
- Zinogre Armour (74 defence per piece, gemmed with Evasion Jewels)
- Talisman with Evasion +6
- Latent Power +1, Razor Sharp, Thunder Attack +1, Evasion +1, Taunt

This set is all about power, but the down time when I sharpen is immense and I risk getting attacked during that time. The killtimes make it so much more worthwhile though.

On a final note, I was going to make an Uragaan S set with the same gemming as the Dios Axe+/Evasion set I just mentioned there, more defence, resistant to both element types, and walls more defence.

Sorry about the fuq heug wall of text, I just wanted to get my sets and equipment set. Lemme know what you guys think.
ConnorWL
Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mark of a Hero? More like Marked for Death!

Post by Andras on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Quick question, if you are using the Dios Axe, have you considered making the bomb boost gems to get bombardier? The boost to the slime damage may be of some assistance.

.: Attempting to revive that which has been long deceased. :.
Andras
Master Hunter (Staff)

View user profile http://monhun.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ConnorWL on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Andras wrote:Quick question, if you are using the Dios Axe, have you considered making the bomb boost gems to get bombardier? The boost to the slime damage may be of some assistance.

Don't have enough slots for that, sadly. Evasion +1 is a godsend for this mission.
ConnorWL
Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andras on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Fair enough. If I recall correctly I used the Brachy Armor with the Dios Gunlance to clear the mission. Lagi wasn't an issue, with being able to guard most of his attacks, but Los and Brachy were friggin tough to take out. I got it on either my second or third try and was lucky enough that Brachy's slime killed Azure for me. I have a real issue of being greedy with my hits on Brachy and he will quickly put me back in place.

The smoke bombs only work if the monster doesn't see you initially, so if one spots you, you need to target him while the smoke is doing it's trick on the other monster. It's a tough call honestly, the skills the Zino set offers make up for it's lack of defense compared to Ura S.

Andras
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by ConnorWL on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:33 pm

So, which version of my Zin set would you recommend? Utility or sheer power?
ConnorWL
Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ConnorWL on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Finished it on my daily commute to college this morning. Boy, was I surprised.

I did it like I was in a trance. Measured the Ivory, making care to attack and evade when it was needed. I focused on the Azure, netting me a kill when an enraged Brachydios splodey-punched it while it was flying. And I killed the final one with just over 13 minutes to spare.

What's even better? Didn't die once and used very little items.

Time to figure out bloody Alatreon now.
ConnorWL
Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andras on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Good luck buddy, I still haven't completed that offline Ala yet. He's pretty fuckin ruthless!

Andras
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by ConnorWL on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 pm

I went in, prepared with healing items and the tools that just got me through Mark of a Hero. I got my ass punted back to the camp before I even hit the five minute mark. I can see what you mean.
ConnorWL
Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top