The Monster Hunter's Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burning Sands

+4
kinokashi
Kut-Ku Bane
17dragonboy
Glyph
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Burning Sands Empty Burning Sands

Post by Glyph Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 am

The history of the Great Desert is as old as the the sand itself. Theft, murder, fraud, crimes and vigilante justice have occured here, staining the land with the blood of countless lost souls. War between nations, between cities, between families have taken place, evidenced by torn steel, and the broken bodies of the combatants. Great civilizations, whose armies and weapons led to their demise, their spires and fortresses sinking into the sand, are nothing more than a cold skeleton amidst a sea of sand, a grim reminder of what once was. Truly, the Great Desert is a place of legends and stories, a burning scar from long ago. The sun was rising over this god forsaken place, lighting another day of possibility for some, and desperation for others.

As the cold began to recede from the inhabitants of Capital City, the streets awoke from their sleep, more and more people walking about. Section 5-6, also called "Limbo" by some of it's inhabitants was a poor, residential part of the City. The City itself is the capital of the Northern most nation-state, and is by far one of the safest and largest cities in the entire Great Desert. "Limbo" however, is not representing of the city's reputation, filled with criminals and scum, most merely trying to survive from one day to the next.

Treasure, work, whatever reason you came to this place, each day you find yourself only a little further towards happiness than you did the last. Subsection 3-3 has little of note, yet for whatever reason, you've spent many more nights here than intended. Perhaps it's because the engineering company you were happily employed to only a few weeks ago closed, after a string of bad business practices had taken their due. Perhaps it's because the nation has little need for a standing army, being on good terms with it's neighbors. Perhaps it's because everyday there is less treasure being found in the desert, fewer discoveries, fewer oportunites for up and coming treasure hunters to make their claim. Perhaps it's because the state has little need for refugees from far away lands, and certainly no reason to help them. And perhaps it's because finding two simple treasure hunters in a vast ocean of faces and names is not an easy task, regardless of underworld connections. Regardless of the circumstances, it is a new day, and there has got to be something for breakfast.

OOC: How's that? Everybody is in there somewhere, (I hope) so just write up your humble abode, and what you are doing this fine morning. Despite being a shithole within a shithole within paradise, Subsection 3-3 has a few places to eat, (Cartney's, Rogett's, and The Fuzzy Navel (Don't expect any caviar)) a "gentleman's club" (Live Nudes), gun store (Triple Barrel), rundown police station, marketplace, a bunch of tenements, and a station to 5-7 Industrial.

Last edited by Glyph on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Burning Sands Empty Re: Burning Sands

Post by 17dragonboy Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 am

ooc:
Interesting setting and back story.
I might suggest breaking up walls of text like that into smaller chunks. It makes it easier to read and to find stuff in the likely case of looking back.

-

A man pushed open the frail wooden door of a small building and walked out into the street, wearing full body covering but very thin clothing ideal for the dry heat of the dessert. He had a long wooden staff over one shoulder, and a backpack on his back stuffed with everything else he had. He'd learned to take everything with him wherever he went, less he never see it again. All that was inside were some water canteens, extra clothes, the remainder of his money, and a thick blanket that disallowed the bag to be fully closed.

The building behind him was a place where people would gather for the night for heat. The building had more insulation than nothing and makeshift fires were made to provide warmth, made up of whatever anyone contributed. Everyone's body heat did a little to help too, as did the humidity they provided. The place wreaked of body odor, however, which mixed with the smells of whatever garbage was thrown in the fires. No one complained about that though.

Squinting in the sunlight, the man started off towards the cheapest restaurant he knew of. He was very mindful of his surroundings, particularly the people around him. Being the weaker person he was made him more vulnerable than most. He was more ready to take off running than he was to fight.

-
ooc:
If I had known the setting of things, I'd probably have done my stats differently.
Is that all acceptable though? I figured he'd have picked up a blanket for the cold nights.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Jagger stood up and wiped his blood stained hands on his desert cloths. He heaved a great sigh and looked to the woman who was almost in tears next to her husband. "He'll be fine ma'am. Just keep his wound clean, give him plenty of water and rest, oh and make sure he doesn't get into any more fights for a while." He patted her on her shoulder to reasure her. He then packed up his med kit and departed the two people in the street--the woman still shouting "thank yous" after him. As Jagger looked down at his watch he realized he hadn't had anything to eat for almost ten hours. As if in agreement his stomach groaned. Deciding he had earned a good meal, or at least what passed for good in the slums of Capital City, he walked slowly down the streets, always keeping his eyes out for thieves and other forms of trouble. Absentmindedly, Jagger reached for the handle of his pistol and switched off the safety.

OOC: In case it needs clarification Jagger is headed for the same place as dragonboy.
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by kinokashi Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 pm

A slim blue haired woman yawned in a tree that was nearby a very cheep and run-down inn. She had her own room but choose to sleep in a tree due to it being more hot in the room. Jumping through her inn window, she changed in her daytime clothes and filled up some of her canteens with water. Strapping a few knifes in her belts and the rest of her equipment in her small pouches, she headed out. She made a loud groan due to the sound of her stomach and headed of to wherever there was food. She remember there being a restaurant but never has been there, due to picking off and stealing some vendor foods. She darted off...

ooc - kino headed your way
kinokashi
kinokashi
Hunter

http://www.kinokashi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Roy awoke from his hammock hanging in an alley, some fifteen feet above the street. It was less an actual hammock and more an old abandoned tarp from some stand that used to be here. Seeing no-one around, he simply took it for himself.

"Ack, I need to get an actual bed. This is wrecking my back..." the Treasure Hunter said to no-one in particular. Slipping out of 'bed' and carefully guiding himself down the wall, he opened his wallet and checked it.

"Hmm...that should be enough for breakfast..."

Closing it and putting it in his left-front pocket, he headed to Cartney's, the closest place he knew of.
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 am

"Dammit Art! Why the Great Desert, Just Why?!" yelled the man on the pay-phone.

"Joey you have talked about this treasure ever sence you took me under your wing, you taught me two things: 1st is that I was going to be the best like you were
2ed The Great Desert Treasure is the BIG MAMMA of all treasure."

"But your a theif Art just a theif. Bye."

Art hung the phone up and ponderd about what his Teacher just said. "Damn that ol man.." he was interupted by his stomach. "Time to eat.." He heads to Cartney's
Trey
Trey
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:19 am

ooc:
I suppose we're all headed to Cartney's.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:04 pm

OOC: And it's even free water Tuesday! Only 1.99 for filtered!
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:03 pm

ooc: Aw, but it's the human and animal fecies that add flavor. Like the minerals.
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:40 pm

ooc:
@YKKB: Then get the dirty water, which is only 2.45 (it's more for the extra flavors you mentioned).

I guess we're running this ourselves then, until major events come our way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
@Kino and Coyote: This is reminding me of Dead Tokyo.

-

The man with the long wooden staff arrived at the simple restaurant dubbed "Cartney's." He navigated himself and his stick through the doorway, then walked slowly as his eyes adjusted to the much darker setting. Just like the difference in light from inside the building and out, the air was much cooler from the shade of the roof.

Walking mildly blindly, he approached the front desk. "Hello," he greeted, still having maintained some of his manners since his life fell through. "A table for one, please."
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:09 pm

OOC: @dragonboy: Naw that's ok, I'll settle for filtered.

Jagger entered an alley and saw a small sign hanging above a battered old door. The sign read "Cartney's". Figuring it was as good a place as any, Jagger walked down the street and pushed the door open. Inside he found it to be very dark and thankfully much cooler. The low din of voices and snoring asailed his ears as the stentch of old beer and sweaty people did the same to his nostrils. Trying not to apear offended, Jagger aproached the counter and stood next to a man who possessed a long pole. He waited for the bar tender to finnish his conversation with the man.
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:31 pm

The offputting smell of rotting meat could be easily detected, even from outside the restaurant. It was likely that it came from the back, where the food was prepared. The restaurant itself was fairly old, the building complex it was attached to being 3rd or 4th generation, most of it crumbling away due to lack of maintenance. It sat on the corner, overlooking the trash covered streets. The rest of the building complex was mostly deserted, crumbling away, condemned. A neon sign that read: "Cartney's" was completely burnt out, and the few windows that weren't boarded up or broken were grimy and unclear. The once yellow paint that had covered Cartney's was little more than flakes, revealing the brick walls beneath. The inside was much like the out, dilapidated. A few broken seats had been left in a corner, and the air was smoky, and had a bitter taste. Rust was visible on almost every metallic suface, and stains adorned the walls. But this was Cartney's, and therefore, one of the cheapest places to buy some "food". Regardless of food, customer service, or atmosphere, several customers were somberly eating their breakfast. The man sitting behind the counter at the store appeared to be asleep, and made no move to answer either of the people who were waiting.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 pm

After waiting a moment for the man behind the counter to respond, the staff man lifted his stick up, mindful not to hit the ceiling or the counter in front of him, or anything else for that matter.

Reaching over the counter with his stick, he ever so gently nudged the man on the shoulder, ready to withdraw the staff as soon as the man stirred. If more force was required, he'd administer it.

-
ooc:
*Baseball swing* WAKE UP!
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Jagger watched with surprise as the man with the staff used it to try and wake the man at the counter. As he did so the phrase "don't poke the bear" came to mind. Jagger was certain that people in this part of town didn't take kindley to others poking them with sticks. He made sure there was some space between him and the staff man in case he got into a fight.
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

The attendant at the counter awoke with a jolt, and slowly sat up to face the new customers. "What can I get for you?" he asks, rubbing one eye with his hand.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:58 pm

"Uh, just a table for one please." The staff man said.

-
ooc:
Will a waiter take me to a table and then take my order?
Or should I be making my order with this guy?

I had assumed the former, but I can edit/post again if necessary.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 pm

"Okay, and what would you like to order?" he asks, gesturing to the menu behind him.

Cutlet: 7.99
Beef Steak: 8.99
Chicken Plate: 4.99
Soup: 5.99
Wings: 3.99
Water: .99 (Free on Tuesdays)
Filtered Water: 1.99
"Order or not, I don't really give a fuck. Just tell me what you want and it'll be out in a sec'. Take whichever seat you want, but the pay is up front."
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 pm

The staff man quickly looked for the lowest price food, but then thought of the need for water.
Soup came to mind, which would be food and water. Water that was hot thus likely safer to drink. But the price of soup was the same as the wings and purified water. He probably would get more fluids from the drink itself.

"Uh..." He said as he thought, looking at the menu for a moment with his mouth slightly open. "I'll have the wings and purified water, please."

-
ooc:
Non-purified water is risky to drink, correct? It's not just tap water, it's like dirty water.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:36 pm

"That'll be 5.98. I need the money up front, but afterward, you can take a seat."
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spawn Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 pm

A silver white haired man walks up to the bar behind the man with the pole. The silver haired man is about the same height but is more muscular thus makeing him look bigger. He is wearing a grey tank top with city camo cargo pants on with the top that matches tied around his waist. Around his neck is a bandana that is the same pattern and color of his pants. He has a gun shapped bag with multiple pouches on his shoulder. Pulling a photo out of one of the pockets on his pants he waits.

Spawn
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm

"I'll have the soup and purified water sir." Jagger aproached the bar tender.
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 pm

ooc:
YOU'll WAIT YOUR GOD DAMNED TURN IS WHAT YOU'LL DO!!!
(:P)

-

"Right." The staff man said, reaching down into the pocket underneath his light clothing then pulling out his wallet. He held his wallet in close as he sifted through the money inside, then pulled out a five and a one and handed them to the man behind the desk. He put away his wallet afterward, keeping a hand nearby the pocket.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 am

OOC: yelling never solved anything DB
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:24 am

Art desides to sits himself at a table. "Sweet wings and purified water! I know what im having" Art said as he waited to be served.
Trey
Trey
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:57 am

OOC: You people have a serious gap in your logic. Thinking about going to eat--->At the restaurant--->Profit! I'll be gone from now (early morning) until sometime late in the afternoon. But feel free to buy stuff from the restaurant in the meantime.

Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by rageofox Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:04 pm

"Alright scum, your bails been paid" as the guard opened the jail cell.
"By who might I ask?" Said the young assassin, Reo.
"By the state, you are to go to Cartneys, get something to eat with this money", as he threw a bag of money on the floor ", Then meet up with some fools going to the desert for treasure, and help them."
As Reo picked up the money the guard kicked him in the stomach "And don't try to run away"
Giving the guard a nasty look Reo got up, picked up his equipment at the front desk, and left the police station intending to head over to Cartneys,and checked the money to see it was about $50.
Reo thought to himself 'if the state is giving this away to me then why doesn't it fix this place up...'
As he got to the restaurant he saw a group of people not exactly sitting together but were the only people in the place, besides the employees.
Reo walked up and ordered something that was hopefully going to be better that the garbage given to inmates and the police station.
"I'll have some Purified water, a beef steak and some soup." feeling extreme hunger coming upon him, seeing as his last meal was almost two days ago.

Last edited by rageofox on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
rageofox
rageofox
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by kinokashi Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:05 pm

kino walks into the restaurant and talks a seat on her own. "Waiter?" she called out. Looking for the most expensive/tastiest food.
kinokashi
kinokashi
Hunter

http://www.kinokashi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:13 pm

OOC: Feel free to self serve yourselves some food and water for a while. I'm waiting to hear back about something, but then we'll keep moving ahead.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 pm

After paying for his food, the staff man found a seat as directed. He choose one built into the wall, put his stick and backpack on the inside, then sat himself down on the outside.

Once his food and water arrived, he slid the water to the far end of the table and started to eat his food.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Jagger recieved his food and water from a disgruntled looking man and found a seat in a dark corner of the bar. He made sure he had his back to the wall so he could see everything going on. He then began to eat his meal. It tasted...different. It wasn't terrible, but it most certainly wasn't good. As he ate he eyed a few of the people who had entered the bar. Among them was the man with the staff and a woman with striking blue hair. Interesting. He thought.
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next