The Monster Hunter's Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vs. Unknown Wyvern (game thread)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vs. Unknown Wyvern (game thread) Empty Vs. Unknown Wyvern (game thread)

Post by BizzarreCoyote Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:25 pm

The Guild Master looked at the Prowler and Wyverian in turn, then turned back to the map.

"We're sending you along the Yukumo route with various shiny but ultimately worthless things. Useless iron shards, some broken armors, so on. I want to see if this wyvern will attempt to attack a cart going the opposite direction, first of all. Second of all, I want to see if things being shiny attracts it, or if just the presence is enough to incite at attack."

He looked up. "Now, you'll be going in alone. We have too few Hunters of your caliber to throw around, so it will be just you and the Aptonoth pulling the cart."

With that, he rolled the map up and held out a hand. "Good luck, Hunters. Try to follow up on those leads if you can, otherwise the cart is ready to go when you are. Any final questions before I return to my office?"

The Pokke Hunter's Guild branch had managed to expand due to an influx of money (due to a Hunter that came in, solved almost all of the town's woes...and vanished whilst seeking a Fatalis, a fate that seems to befall many 'heroes'), and had several roaring fireplaces along the walls. Hunters and non-Hunters the same enjoyed meals loudly with each other, laughing over triumphs...or a few drowning their sorrows away, alone. The noon summer sun managed to peek in through the window blinds, its brightness signalling Pokke's warm season...which still was't enough to melt the permafrost the town practically sits on. In fact, while it is still 'warm', the temperature was still sitting just below freezing. People drew nasty looks from others nearby whenever they opened the front door to let the cold back in.

Naturally, the inside is much more accommodating. More than a few Hunters and Guild Officials alike have been reprimanded for stalling inside to enjoy the heat, before going outside to do whatever it was they were to do.

The Guild Master looked at you both, expectantly, though he had to look up whenever he glanced at Rook's imposing form.
---

OOC: Turns out there was a miscount. It's just you two, Sunfish and Adjectutor. We may still continue, I'll simply adjust the difficulty to match. (Ignore the man behind the curtains, he is doing nothing.)

Last edited by BizzarreCoyote on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Vs. Unknown Wyvern (game thread) Empty Re: Vs. Unknown Wyvern (game thread)

Post by Adjectutor Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:07 pm

OOC: Apologies for the delay.  I have gotten used to the notifications I get when threads update.  I didn't realize you had already kicked off.

"Very well" Rook replied.  "Lacking this many of the little details, it may well be better to just consider the big picture and take a ride" he followed while strapping his weapon back on.  Rook takes a moment to bow courteously before peering over his shoulder and down at his furry companion "...unless, of course, you're still holding on to a question or two of your own."

OOC: We may want to notify sunfish of this as well should he be expecting an email notification of some sort as well.
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:38 am

OOC: I've sent him a pm, just in case. I really, really don't want this RP to be dead in the water even before it begins.
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:32 pm

"I doubt there's much more to learn at this point." Whiskers replied while running his paw across his face, "And worst case scenario you'd make a much better lunch than I would."

OOC: Sorry bout that, had a busy couple days and forgot to check for updates
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Rook gave a light chuckle and turned to face their exit. "Alright, let us embark." As he finished speaking he prepared to make his way out in order that they might proceed to their caravan.
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:40 am

The Guild Master shrugged.

"Very well. May luck be ever in your favor."
---
The two Hunters stepped outside, and their ride was immediately apparent. It was, as the Guild Master said, hitched to a cart full of metallic junk. Broken swords, shattered armor, all sorts of shards.

The caravan driver was a skinny, elderly human. His shaggy grey hair was matted with sweat, despite the freezing temperatures. He was pacing back and forth, muttering something to himself. The Aptonoth paid him no mind, as if this were a common thing.

He also appeared to have not noticed the two Hunters leave the Guild Hall.
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:02 pm

"Zenny for your thoughts?" Whiskers asked as he approached the old man and the caravan. He made sure to keep a decent distance from the Aptonoth, he had a cousin who wandered a bit too close once and lost his tail.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:25 pm

The man's head snapped up when Whiskers spoke, and then he shook it.

"I retired from this caravan Aptonoth crap a decade ago. Promised I'd find something safe to do after some wyvern cloaked in black destroyed my caravan and made my Aptonoth go violently berzerk." He said, gesturing loosely towards the base of the mountain. His hands scratched underneath the Aptonoth's crest, which it clearly liked, giving a soft moo of glee."That something was raising them in a dairy farm. It was safe, aside from the occasional Aptonoth that needed to be broken in."

"Now suddenly they want me to take both this fake caravan and a group of Hunters into what I hear is a deathtrap!"

After he realized he was drawing stares from other people just going about their day, he took a breath. "I just have a really bad feeling about it, and I wouldn't be doing it if the Guild wasn't paying me a huge lump sum."

While he did still look anxious, at least he had stopped pacing.

"Anyway, the name's Andrew. What can I help you with? I don't have much time, I don't know when those Hunters are supposed to show up."
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:05 pm

"Actually, that would be us, sir." Rook chimed in. "We don't have the information we need to assess the situation fully, however I would like to do my part in making your travels safer. You have made your caravan ours, so I will make my shield yours."
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 pm

"And we'll do our best to keep you and your Aptonoth safe nyaa." Whiskers chimed in.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Andrew paled a bit.

"Oh, terribly sorry, sirs. I just expected...more of ya."

He hopped into the wagon's driver's seat and picked up the reins.

"Is this all of ya? Or are we prepared to go?"

-------
OOC: Last chance to change anything about your characters, as well as last chance for any new entrants!
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:17 am

OoC: I was waiting to post because I thought Andras had wanted to join as well. I don't know what is going on with that, but I am ready to go otherwise. Just holding off until I hear from you again.
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:10 am

OOC: Same
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Andras Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:03 pm

OoC: You all go ahead. If I get an opportunity down the road I may join.
Andras
Andras
Master Hunter (Staff)

https://monhun.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:17 am

OOC: Will do

"Wait, wait!" A female voice called as the Hunters piled in, shiny medium bowgun slung over her mostly-Pink Rathian armor set. She held a hand up as she doubled over, panting.

"I-I'm with...you guys!" She said, digging into her pouch to produce the same contract that Rook and Whiskers had. "I was just getting more information before we left!"

"Whatever, girl, get in. We're on a schedule to get slaughtered." Andrew said bitterly and impatiently.

She did so, settling in next to Whiskers.

"Hi there, my name's Emily!" She waved, then her gaze turned downward towards the Felyne. "D'aww, cutest little kitty cat I've ever seen! Are you a Prowler?" She said, resisting the urge to scratch Whiskers behind his ears.

Emily seemed one step away from a glee-induced heart attack regardless. Her rifle bounced against the side of the cart, causing her to automatically pull it up and into her lap without missing a single beat.

The reason the rifle was so shiny? It was covered from receiver to stock in Silver and Gold Rath parts, the barrel itself appearing very tough. It was longer than the Profusion Light Bowgun, so what exactly she called it was...really up to her.
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 am

Rook gave a brief, polite bow upon the introduction of their new companion. Soon after they entered the cart, her rifle caught Rook's eye. "That is an impressive piece of equipment you've got there. What sort of munitions is it capable of firing?" The craftsmanship of the piece getting the better of him, Rook started pondering further modifications he could make to his own work as he anticipated her response.

OoC: I had a feeling this was coming.
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:42 am

Emily looked at Rook with a grin that seemed almost predatory.

"Well, my tall friend, it can fire the average sort like Normal and Pierce rounds, buuuuut..."

She pulled out a round that was glowing a molten orange, away from its four brothers. "Barrel has been reinforced for these babies, Wyvern Fire rounds. Guaranteed to melt Uragaan hide, much like your Gunlance. I call her the Eclipse Rifle, I hope it catches on."

The driver didn't have the heart to tell her that the Medium Bowgun had been phased out.

"Anyway, did you build your gunlance yourself? I don't recognize it from guild standards, Mr...?" She stalled, obviously fishing for a name.

---

OOC: Just because she's an NPC does not mean I'll be affording her any breaks in rolls.
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:18 am

Rook looked at his weapon with something akin to the look a proud parent might give their child. "It is as you say, this was one of my designs. The barrell is sturdy yet fortified, and the differents metals balance the abilities of the lance to excel with my long-style explosive shelling while the blade manages just fine in close range combat. The shield of course utilizing these same components for a strong and flexible defense." Rook exhaled slowly before taking another breath to finish his though. "This creation of mine has been imagined and reimagined for decades now. It is truly a lifelong project. I have settled on passing along my old nickname to it, so I just call it Kaboom Mk 6."
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:07 pm

"It's not the weapon but the hunter that uses it." Whiskers chimed in, "At least that's what I keep telling myself." He felt a little inadequate with his tiny weapon when compared to the behemoths that his fellow hunters were packing.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm

"You are absolutely right. These tools would be useless to someone your size. But even the fastest rogue cuts only as deep as his daggers are sharp. I am sure your weapon, despite its size, was a labor of love, crafted to be exactly what you need." Rook gave a hearty smile. "You can take pride in that."
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:14 pm

"I'll be sure to pass your compliments on to the guild blacksmith." Whiskers purred, a bit embarrassed that he received such praise. "Perhaps I'll craft something befitting a true meownster hunter after this."
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:45 am

"Aw, I'm sure you will too!" Emily supplied. "After all, plenty of parts from whatever this thing is."

She waited a moment, then jerked her head upwards.

"Oh, right! I was late because I was gathering intel! One of them heard a roar and booked it, so he was useless, but the other one was full of useful things!"

She sat back as the cart make its way down the mountain, screwing the barrel off for a quick cleaning.

"He said that he heard two distinct roars before his cart was attacked. One was a Rathian, the other he couldn't place. He also said that there were other overturned carts all over the place, so whatever attacked him is probably looking for something specific!"

She scowled as she noticed a small nick on the barrel. Nothing enough to impair the rifle, but enough to annoy her. "Oh, if only this oil could fix this. Gotta buy a new one now...teach would kill me for missing this."
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 pm

"Hopefully this quest will more than pay for that barrel" Whiskers said trying to help, "At least it better."

He shifted around the cart trying to find a good spot to settle down in while they moved. Once he found his spot he started grooming himself to pass the time.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:03 pm

OoC: I was waiting for things to proceed, but perhaps you have been waiting for me to say something? Anyhow

"Speaking of the quest," Rook interjected, "Perhaps we should have a plan or at least a formation discussed in preparation for actually running into this monster." Rook holds his shield up in a defensive posture while look back over at his co-hunters.

"Whiskers was it?... I suspect you are quite nimble to be a hunter of status relying on small weaponry. I reccomend when we are approaching the enemy from the front that you split from us to either flank to draw away or split his attention. Meanwhile, I would have Emily follow me toward the opposite flank. She can take clear shots and I will provide a middle-ground defense and shelling to cover her. Should the enemy turn toward you I can prep a WyvernFire to get its attention back.

This may not play out perfectly, but it would make room for improvisation. What do both you think?"
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:32 pm

OOC: I unfortunately am going to be camping for the next week and will not be able to post until I get back on tuesday
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 pm

"I think that sounds good. I also have a trap, so we can close in and Wyvern Fire the beast to a fiery oblivion. If things go south, I have a smoke bomb for us to hide in and reposition. Not too worried about Whiskers because he's far quicker and smaller than we are." Emily replied, racking the bolt on the empty rifle to make sure it was nice and smooth. "There we go, finally got that sand out."

---

OOC: That's fine, Sun. I myself was AWOL picking up my newly minted Marine brother, I apologize about that. If no one has anything else to say, then we'll time-skip on Tuesday.
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:33 am

One Timeskip Later
-------------------------------------------
The party was quiet after that, each going about their own tasks. The driver was glad, as usually he had to cart around an all-too chatty group.

The swampy areas at the base of the mountain were muggy and unpleasant, home to, among other things, decaying flora and fauna, the mushrooms and moss feeding on them, and the occasional Ioprey, driven away by the presence of the Hunters on the cart.

The fog was thick and heavy, enough to slightly dampen Whisker's coat and make the ground an almost persistent quagmire. The cart's wheels sunk down in the mud slightly, and the Aptonoth were slowed as well. On top of that, the distant rumble of thunder signaled an oncoming storm.

"This is it." The driver suddenly spoke quietly, as though to ward off bad spirits. "This is where the carts keep disappearing..."

The carts themselves were very much not 'disappeared'. Shattered against rock walls, torched to cinders, split apart against a tree, but still quite present. The Aptonoth were in a similar shape, though whether it was from the event or local scavengers couldn't be determined from the cart.

Strangely, there were no Human, Wyverian, or Felyne corpses. Also strange: The load of each cart was missing. Some carts were carrying gold or similar valuable items, others were carrying weapons to the shop in Pokke.

Gone, all of it.

The shards of broken armor and broken armor in the cart behind you were a loud reminder of your current job. Emily frowned and loaded a magazine of Normal S, slamming the receiver home. The action sounded like a quiet Rathalos roar, what with the bolt made of Silver Sol parts.

"Well, this is the stop, Hunters." The driver said, nervousness clear in his voice. "I'll stick around here until your inspection is done."

"Well, I'll go look over here, I guess. Shout if you find anything?" Emily said, pointing at an Aptonoth (Marked 1 on map). She dismounted and hurried over to it.
---

https://imgur.com/wngAA5I
(Image embedding appears to be broken)

Red is current party.
Blue is broken carts (Labeled to help)
Dark red is Aptonoth corpses (Also labeled)
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adjectutor Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:23 am

"While we are going to want to cover ground, it is also important that we protect our cart as well. Whiskers, since you'll doubtless cover the most ground, why don't you consider checking the right side toward the farthest Aptonoth (marked 5 on the map). If you have any suspicions that the monster is aware of your presence, just head back toward us or give us a signal. I will hold position and watch our cart for the time being. I can fire a few shells as a signal to let you know if there is a hostile in the vicinity."

Rook checks his shelling, returns the gunlance to fire-ready, and places an arm on the back of the cart, allowing his shield to rest at his side.
Adjectutor
Adjectutor
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:04 pm

"Works for me." Whiskers replied before heading off in towards the specified Aptonoth. He didn't bother unsheathing his weapon so as to not hinder his movements in case he needed to make a speedy retreat. As he ran he made sure to keep an eye out for claw marks or signs of whatever had caused this mess.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:25 am

Whisker's search showed some small claw marks from local scavengers, but also an almost perfect square carved out of the Aptonoth's thigh. An extinguished firepit was nearby, though determining how old it was would be impossible with all of the rot the swamp produced.

"I've got nothing!" Emily called. "A huge puncture wound on its spine, but nothing else...hold up, that looks like something a beak would cause."

Rook heard nothing out of the ordinary, just the croaking of frogs and the chirping of crickets.

---
https://i.imgur.com/KIZDctE.jpg
(I recognize the map is very small, will be corrected next round.)

Pink: Emily
Tan: Whiskers
Red: Rook w/cart

Emily (Human)
HP 100/100
Normal S 5/5

Whiskers (Felyne)
80/80
Weapon sheathed

Rook (Wyverian)
120/120
3/3 shells, Wyvern Fire Ready
Guarding (+4 to defense)
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next