The Monster Hunter's Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infection sign up

+4
BizzarreCoyote
Kut-Ku Bane
17dragonboy
Glyph
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Infection sign up Empty Infection sign up

Post by Glyph Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:03 am

The year is 2027, and the Earth is little more than a zombie infested wasteland. Only a few weeks ago, a mysterious disease was discovered in Southern Indonesia, and what started out as an over-hyped media scare became a chaotic pandemic. The nations of the world collapsed into chaos, 9 out of every 10 people being infected. Those who weren't infected quickly fell prey to the ravenous hunger of the diseased. It is now estimated that only 3% of the world's population is alive and uninfected. Everyday is a challenge, another step closer to death. Can you survive the zombie apocalypse?

After I gave up on my old RP, I finally figured out why it sucked ass so hard. I was too focused on making a flawless RP that had a fully developed story and rules. This RP is going to be more focused on action, and with hordes of the undead chasing you down, it will be much more fast paced. So if you want to give me another chance, just post some basic character information and I'll take care of the rest.
Example:
Name: Tool Shed
Physical: (Size, strength, fitness, defining attributes) 5' 7", 176 lbs., medium build, athletic
Equipment: (Guns; Type(LMG, AR, Shotgun, etc...)+Quality(Probably low end)+ammo(Few clips max)
(Other weapons; Grenades(unlikely), Knife, molotovs...)
(Items; Medical stuff, telescope, flashlight (might be important))
(For this section, be creative, although I'm giving you guns (2 max) you'll have to use common items instead of military stuff. So think: what would I use in a zombie apocalypse?)
Background/Story/whatever: ...
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Infection sign up Empty Re: Infection sign up

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:16 pm

I'll be joining, I just need to think of a character first...

Should there be some kind of limit that keeps us from just being jacked and really athletic?
Not to force ideas, but someone once had the idea of three body types; small, average, large. Small was weaker in toughness and strength, but faster and more agile. Large was more durable and strong, but slower and less agile. Average was a middle ground.
Again, not trying to force the idea. I just think there ought to be something that limits us.

So for equipment, it should really only be stuff that a common civilian would have? And maybe some stuff relevant to their profession, and what they could have easily raided.

Just out of curiosity, where will this be taking place?
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:36 pm

When writing out your physical description, you get a bonus to one of the following: (Health, Strength, Speed, Endurance) You can have up to three bonuses, but each bonus past the first one will lower a different one.
Example:
Physical: Very strong, lots of muscle (+Health, +Strength, -Speed)
Note: Your total modifier should be +1

Guns will be grouped into categories based on type and caliber (Heavy, Medium, Light). For now, you will start with 2 guns as well as items that would be found in your house or an apartment.
The story will be set in a small town in Nevada.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:28 am

Name: Dax
Physical: 5'-6'', Lithe and slightly muscular (+Speed +Endurance -strength) medium build
Primary weapon: AK-47(AR) (fairly good quality), (4 extra mags)
Secondary: 357 Double Action Revolver (20 cartridges)
Other weapons: 2' crowbar
Items: basic medical supplies (disinfectant, bandages, pain pills, etc), flash light (4 extra batteries), water bottle, watch, radios (x2), compass, combat/utility knife, map of general area, fire starting materials, light rations, regular sized back pack, toilet paper (2 ply).
Back story: Dax was an electrician before the zombies hit. He loved to tinker with radios and other small electronic devices. No wife, kids, family, or friends. He liked to be left alone. He found people to be loud and always too talkative.

Glyph, are you really going to be keeping track of how much amo we have?
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

I edited my character to fix some of the issues we talked about yesterday. Lemme know if this passes, or still has some issues.
Spoiler:

Last edited by 17dragonboy on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by BizzarreCoyote Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Name: Roy Alomar
Physical: 5' 9", 150 lbs., light build, marathon runner (+Speed +Endurance -Strength)
Equipment: PS90 (Civilian variant of P90, semi-auto), regularly maintained, 2x 30 round mags
M1911 (Mid-quality, 5 extra mags)
Items: First Aid Kit, Flare x2, gun cleaning kit, flashlight, crowbar
Background: Lost a lover to a mugging gone horribly wrong, and is extremely reserved and quiet as a result. Often doesn't sleep at night, due to frequent nightmares. As a result, tends to take light naps whenever he can.

OOC: I take it we are completely immune to the virus? As in, getting bitten won't change us?

Last edited by BizzarreCoyote on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editing backstory)
BizzarreCoyote
BizzarreCoyote
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 am

@KKB: Yes, all ammo will be counted as you use it, so be smart and frugal with your bullets.

@DB: Yes, you may have a truck, just don't expect fuel to be abundant, or the ride to be a smooth one.

@BC: Yes, you are immune to infection as of right now. No one is exactly sure what is causing the plague, be it virus, parasite or some terrible curse.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 am

Would taking fuel from other vehicles be plausible? And/or from a gas station? Granted it would be a little bit of work (and I'd have to figure out how exactly to do that).
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am

If DB gets a truck can I have a bugatti with a dozer blade?
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 pm

@DB: Other cars won't always have much fuel in them, and the zombies won't just wait around for you to get it either.

@KKB: Allow me to answer that question with a question; no.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kut-Ku Bane Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 am

So how is the combat going to work. Do we say where and with how many rounds we are shooting a zombie?
Kut-Ku Bane
Kut-Ku Bane
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Basically. I think we'll probably start sometime tommorow.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster427 Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd like to join. Sounds interesting.

Name: Jason
Appearance: Very Small build, shorter hair, no beard or mustache (:O) (I think -strength, -endurance, +agility or something like that)
Weapons: (I don't know what all the numbers mean so I'll just put gun names that I know) Assault Rifle, Shotgun (200 rifle bullets, 50 shotgun bullets. (the Assault Rifle is like a rapid fire to-handed gun.))
Sub-Weapon: 2' Crowbar (Sounds so lethal!) And a small knife.
Items: Med-kit, Flashlight (6 extra batteries)
Backstory: Jason was a gamer, and didn't have many friends, and no family. When all his friends and his games got destroyed, he swore revenge on the cursed zombies and took the fight to them!
Blaster427
Blaster427
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 pm

*Sputter* Blaster!? Well, I never thought that you'd join this forum. Anyways, everything is almost ready and now that I don't have anything going on this weekend, I'll get it started within the next few days.

@Blaster, I know that your mom is pretty sensitive regarding violence, gore, sexual themes, etc... Would that be a problem here?
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Flaxfire Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 pm

I'd like to join, if this is still open
Just give me some time to make a character.
Flaxfire
Flaxfire
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster427 Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:17 am

@Glyph: The violence won't be a prob, but the other two will.
Blaster427
Blaster427
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Squipix Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:36 am

Woot. The disease came from Indonesia.

Name : Logan Thredmon
Appearance : This guy.
Spoiler:
Average height and build, home-office novel writer. Perfectionist. (+Accuracy, +Awareness/Intelligence, -Strength)

Weapons : Heirloom Telescopic-Sights-Fitted Sniper Variant Kar98k -
- Sniper Rifle - Factory Condition - 3 Stripper Clips (3X5 = 15 shots)

Equipment :
*Backpack with Rifle Holster on the side

Items :
*Clean Cloth
*Lubricating Oil
*Touch-Screen Smartphone + Stylus
*Solar-Powered Battery Charger - Size of a Mobile Phone (this is 2027 after all, right? Or.. no?)
*First Aid Kit
*Swiss Army Knife
*Black Security Baton
*Strap-On Flashlight (can be fitted on head or wrist)
*Vacuum-Wrapped Snacks (jerky, preserved dried fruits, nuts)
*2 Water Canteens (one full, one empty)
Squipix
Squipix
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Flaxfire Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Name: Jack Phelps
Physical: Athletic, medium build, probably 5'9', 155 lbs. (+Strength) Appears generally clean cut, with short brown hair and a clean shaven face. Wears a black suit.
Equipment: Thompson submachine gun, battered but cleaned regularly, 3 clips (20 shots per clip, 60 shots total) M1911 pistol, generally well maintained, 5 clips (8 shots per clip, 40 shots total.)
Brass knuckles.
Items: Gun flashlight (For his M1911), notebook.
Backstory: A detective for the LAPD, homicide division. Clever and resourceful, Jack is focused on getting the job done.

How's that sound?
Flaxfire
Flaxfire
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Everyone seems to be ready, so tommorow is going to be the start. (I will still let people join a few days in)

@Squipix: Everything is okay, I'm just not sure that your smartphone will be of any use. It's highly unlikely that you'll find any kind of connection to the internet in most places.

@Flaxfire: Again, no problems, I'm (or you are) just going to have to figure out a reason for a LA detective to be in Nevada.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Squipix Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:00 am

Oh that's just for writing down notes and a digital camera, more so for the inbuilt functions rather than it's communications capability. Though if it can be used for such it would be good.
Squipix
Squipix
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:38 pm

It dawned on me that my guy should probably have Accuracy + as one of his attributes, being a professional hunter and all (and a little back story I've got in mind for him).

That would require me to take a drawback though. My concern is I'm not sure what would be appropriate to take. Some ideas I had were:
-Lacking in general intelligence, be it knowledge, figuring stuff out, or otherwise (I'd probably have to play dumb on some things).
-Needs to eat a lot, being the significantly larger person he is.
-Can't fit into or through small places very well at all, being the big guy he is.
-His weight can be a problem for various reasons (but sometimes a benefit too...)
-Generally not a very sneaky person, due to size and weight.

Those last few seemed kind of weak, but perhaps I could combine some drawbacks to get one "worthy" of accuracy +.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:36 pm

@DB I'll give you accuracy +, it makes sense, seeing as you're a hunter. You'll also get technology - as a penalty though.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:47 pm

I edited my character to fix some of the issues we talked about yesterday. Lemme know if this passes, or still has some issues.
Spoiler:
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Alright, a few changes are being made. First of all, I'd like everyone to put their character list back up, but not in quite the same way as you had it before. Here's an example;
Spoiler:

Sorry for the retcon, but seeing as we never really used any of the old stuff, I figured it wouldn't be a very big deal.
Also, now that I've remembered, we're using a system again, with numbers and everything. Your stats will play into that as well.

Spoiler:

Next time you go to do something, either guess a number between 1 and 20, or I will do it for you. It will be put against another random number, and how close your's is to the random one will determine the outcome of what you are trying to do. Your modifiers will nudge the result in your favor, BUT other factors may have an undesirable effect. An example:

Carlos Mencia is in a small room, with one infected person. He has a handgun. The infected person is not moving, and has not noticed him yet, making it an easy target. Unfortunately, Carlos has an 8 in his small arms skill. He fires one shot, guessing 12. The computer brings up a 4.
(4+/-(12+/-2)= 10 [Carlos is a terrible shot]) Now, we subtract that from the damage he does with his handgun (4-6). (6-10=-4) Carlos missed his target completely. He drops to one knee this time, increasing his accuracy by 2, and fires another single shot, guessing 12 again. The computer brings up an 8. (8+/-(12)=4) Carlos hits, but will it do damage? His handgun does 4-6 damage, and we'll say that it does a 6 again. (6-4=2) The zombie takes 2 damage. (4-2=2) We'll leave Carlos for now to fight his own battles.

Some quick special rules on combat:
Spoiler:

Alright, that should cover everything. Sorry for the walls of text, but I thought it would be important to have everyone see the new stuff. Remember, post your character's NEW stuff below.

P.S. Given the small size of our party, I'm going to be running a character as well.

Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Just some questions;

For skills, am I correct in assuming that the only skills we can have are the skills you have listed?

For ranged skills, does small arms refers to firearms in general, like shotguns, rifles, etc?
If not, please clarify.
What would special refer to?

For melee skills, I'm having trouble understanding how basic, martial and special work.
I'm guessing weapons fit into there somehow.

I understand with skills they cannot go beyond 13, but what is the lower limit?
Could you give us a brief idea of what each number is like for a level of skill? Like, would completely clueless be a 0 or 5? Is 13 like an expert?
Do you get what I mean?
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:55 pm

@DB: In regards to your questions;

1. Those skills are simply the ones that I could think of, if you have some more ideas, I'd love to hear them.
2. For ranged weapons, small arms are *most* everything that an indivual would be able to fire without any prior training, special skills, etc... They would include shotguns, assault rifles, SMGs, etc... Large/mounted would be things like an anti-aircraft gun, or an RPG. Special is something I completely forgot to mention, so thank you for bringing it up. Special is for specializing (hurrdurr). For example, you could put one skill point into special, let's say shotguns, and you would then have +2 modifier for shotguns ONLY. Basically, special skills allow you to focus on one area in that field, your modifier is always double the number of skill points that you have under that skill PLUS any that you might have in the basic skill.
3. Basic melee skill would include simple weapons, hammers, boards with a nail in them, anything not specifically meant for combat. It also includes basic hand to hand combat, basically dirty fighting. Martial, therefore is anything that is designed to be used as a weapon, including knives, throwing stars, spears, etc... For special, see above.
4. The suggested lower limit for your skills would be a 5, anything below that could get you into trouble. I suppose that the very lowest limit would be a one, you have to at least be able to do the skill. As for relative levels;

1-2: Horrendously awful at anything even related to the task at hand. Even attempting to do it would probably just make things worse.
3-4: Terrible. It's likely you have no practice at the skill at hand. Maybe even un-practice, or whatever the opposite would be.
5-6: Untalented. With some work, you could be able to perform at an average level.
7-8: Mediocre. You're not TOO bad at this, you just can't seem to get it right every time.
9-10: Average. Congratulations, you're like everyone else. Sheep.
11-12: Above average. Hey, you're not half bad. Maybe you've had some experience, or just have natural talent for it.
13-14: Talented. You could impress passer-by, friends and family, etc... This is the kind of skill level it takes to play a college sport.
15-16: Professional. At this point, you must have put some work into developing this. Raw talent is a likely factor as well.
17-18: Expert. You're a leader in your field, capable of doing things some would not even think of. Mistakes can happen, but they are a rarity.
19-20: Sub-deity. You perform miracles, feats of magic, and acts of God. People bow before your ability at whatever.
21+: Not humanly possible, without the aid of magic or divine intervention.

Each level, you gain a number of skill points equal to half your intelligence, plus the level you are gaining. For example, Chuck Norris is becoming third level, with an intelligence of 10. He gains 5+3=8 skill points. And yes, I forgot to mention, but there will be levelling up. Experience points are not exclusive to killing zombies, but I'm not sure how many you'll need before you gain a level. Anyways, yeah.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Okay, that explains things better.

Something that crossed my mind though; perhaps we should have a limited amount of skills we can take? Or maybe just a set number of skill points.
The issue I'm seeing is, say someone takes all of the skills you listed. Then, someone else takes all the skills you listed, but then some other skills they made up. The latter person is better off.
Do you get what I mean kind of?
Having X amount of skill points seems easier to manage than X amount of skills that each contain Y amount of skill points.

It might be easier to say "you have X amount of points to spend" on stats as well. It just seems simpler.
Could you give us a quick rundown of what each level of stat is like, like you did with skills?

Perhaps you could open this up to new players? Though I'm not sure if anyone else would join.
I fear that BC is really busy currently.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:02 pm

I think I see what you're saying, but you may have misunderstood me. I never said someone could just take skill that they made up, I meant that if someone had a suggestion, perhaps it could added to the list. Also, if I remember correctly, I said that everyone had 10 skill points to add. Same for stats (5 points actually). Do you mean the different categories? Someone can put points into Small Arms, but not into Ranged, because the latter is a category of skills. The skill itself is Small Arms. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you though. And as for Stats, the rundown would be similar to skills, just with stats. Use your imagination, I don't really want to write them all out. And as far as new players go, I never barred anyone out. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING, DO NOT HESITATE. I know that we could use some more players, I just assumed nobody else was interested.

Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 pm

What you said cleared up my doubts.
It sounds like you're saying we all have the same skills, just different levels of them. Suggestions of new skills would give the new skill to everyone.
I was under the impression we might be able to have different skills (and different levels).

Perhaps you could change the title of your threads to something including "Open to new players."
I'm just saying this because I feel like some more players would be particularly nice. If it doesn't happen though, oh well.
(On the subject of RPG's open to new players, could I interest you in Holgarde? Just asking, don't be afraid to say no.)

I'll get around to writing up my character at some point.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Spoiler:

Lemme know if any corrections need to be made.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next