The Monster Hunter's Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holgarde RPG Sign Up

+5
Rekee Soen
rageofox
Sunfish123
Blaster427
17dragonboy
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Holgarde RPG Sign Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Holgarde RPG Sign Up

Post by 17dragonboy Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:30 pm

This is kind of late of me to ask, and a really broad question, but;
What kind of things would you like to see (or not see) in this RPG?

I'm expecting a fair amount of general monster hunter type stuff, like quests. Things could probably be veered from that, if desired.

Drama and the like would be very appropriate, considering what the town has gone through.
Is this something people would like to see more of, or would you guys prefer something a little more light heart'ed?

Besides monster hunter stuff like quests, am I correct in assuming that people would like role playing to play a significant part of things?

Do things like mystery and/or investigation appeal? What about human combat?

In the future, does the idea of moving from town to town appeal? Splitting up or staying together?

Those are just some kind of specific things I've been wondering, but if you have anything else you'd like to bring up, please do. I'm trying to make things more fun for the players by seeing what they'd like to do.
Keep in mind, this isn't wholly like voting. If one person is against the norm, I'll try to accommodation them.

I know this is kind of broad, but any kind of response would be appreciated.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:41 pm

If there is still the oportuniy, I would like to join.
Spoiler:

That should be everything, if I'm accepted, that is.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekee Soen Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:45 am

@DB:
Basically, it would be good to see that we are making a clear progress of some sort in the RPG.

A clear objective to this quest would help, one that we could all work towards, and once achieved, signals the success and end of this RPG session. For example: "Eliminate all monster threats" or maybe a more long term one like "Restore the City".

There could be side-quests and/or "unexpected developments" though, like "Unblock the town's water supply" or "Rescue the mayor's son".

Drama's okay, as long it's reasonable.

I'm game for mystery and investigation, as long it is something that advances the plot.

I'd prefer combat, be it against monsters or humans, to be the plot-advancing type, rather than just for the sake of a slaughterfest. Human combat's okay, but it shouldn't be too forced.

And I vote on staying together. I'm starting to get a bit lonely of interacting with only you 90% of the time. :PPP
Rekee Soen
Rekee Soen
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:36 pm

@Glyph: Your character checks out okay. It's good to have you aboard.

You'll have a little catching up to do to get you up to speed, but it shouldn't be too much.
First, please read Blaster and Coyote's character information. They are both from Donoto, so your character probably knows them at least a little from questing with them before. (Coyote has been absent, so I am not sure what will happen with his character.)

After that, please read the parts of my posts directed to Donoto (they are labeled as (Donoto)).
Also, any ooc: comments I make, even if they're directed at someone in particular.
At the same time, please read all of Blaster's posts, and all of BizzarreCoyote's posts (he doesn't have a whole lot).

Once you are done with all of that nonsense, if you could please look over these questions and respond.
Spoiler:
Once all of that is done, you'll be all set.
We'll just assume that Chirozay hasn't done anything in particular yet.

@Rekee: Alright, thank you.

I agree with doing things for the sake of plot, but I'll try to keep that more in mind than I normally would.

If it addresses one of your points, your objectives now would be; slay or repel the Azure Rathalos, slay or repel the Blue Yian Kut Ku, and clear out the other monsters within the city.

I'm hoping to get you guys all grouped up relatively soon.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Mystery, intrigue, drama, whatever everyone feels like doing, I'm fine with. Sorry if that's not much of a help, but I really don't mind doing anything one way or the other. Also, what exactly should I be doing in the actual RP?
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:22 pm

@Glyph: Did you read all of the stuff (posts) I said to read? If you haven't, you really should (like, really).

Otherwise, there's a large building. Some various shooters (including Edo) are on the roof looking for targets.
There's various smaller buildings surrounding this larger building. It's likely that 'Prey are hiding amongst these buildings, and they need to be gotten rid of.

You'd be coming from the east of this building with the Donoto caravan.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Survey time again guys.

One thing I was wondering was what you guys thought of the recent Rathalos battle.
Difficulty, clarity, and atmosphere are some particular points I'm wondering about.
Also the 'Prey battles prior.

Something else I'm wondering about is what you guys think of the RPG as a whole. Any issues you guys are having, or things you think I should keep doing.

Anything said is appreciated. Naturally, feel free to bring up anything that I didn't mention above. Be as critical as you need to be.
If there's kind of things you guys would like to have happen, bring those up too please.

Also, if anyone is looking for a character change, now is the time to start arranging for it.

As always, if there's any questions, ask please.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Personally I prefer battles that have some element of chance, both positive and negative, rather than a strict cause and effect scenario. I guess I like things that require an extraneous amount of random number generators and equations : P. I'm not saying that this is a good or bad thing, just my personal preference. As far as difficulty, I'm not sure what to say. I think the difficulty was appropriate to the number of people that were involved, but whether or not it was influenced by how everyone played, I don't know. As far as atmosphere goes, I feel that the battle became a little drawn out at some point, perhaps even after the outcome was clear. In regards to the RPG itself, overall I feel that it has been a little linear, aside from the few scattered prey battles, given that there was only one real objective. Again, that's my personal preference more than anything, so take that with a grain of salt.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 pm

I think that you are doing a great job with the RPG as a whole, I feel you are detailed and realistic, you create a good atmosphere that you can feel.

The Rathalos battle I think had good difficulty, and the Prey battles before were a nice warm up leading into it, the Prey had a good amount of difficulty I think, not too hard and not too easy.

There has even been some good exchanges between the players, which I think is a good thing. Interaction between the characters adds to the whole I think.

As far as what to keep doing, I would say keep doing what you are. You are creating a good backdrop for a continued story line I think. I liked how you worked in the Wyverian, Mr. Elram. (Even though I totally missed that one) It was a good touch.

I like my character just fine, but she might be in need of new armor. :-P

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

The difficulty seems pretty good, although it seemed like you started to make it a bit easier after a couple of posts, more so than the 'Los should have been. If anything you should be a little bit more harsh on how you take the actions.

I can't really say much about the RPG as a whole, seeing as we've only done really one legitimate fight other than a few 'prey battles here and there, but so far so good.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster427 Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 pm

I disagree with Sunfish. I found the battles to be very fun, and the Rathalos was very well done. The Prey were very well done, as well. As for rhe RPG as a whole, the breaks between battles has been nice, I like how you had the wyvernian come in. All-in-all, you've done a great job so far. I hope it can continue with much more to come.
Blaster427
Blaster427
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:29 pm

I didn't say it wasn't fun, I was just mentioning that I felt it would be more fun if he made it more difficult.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Personally I agree with Sunfish, some more difficulty could have been nice. To achieve it though? I don't know, if everyone meticulously writes out their actions, and everything ends up being more airtight than a waiver form for a saw mill trampoline gunfight bouncehouse (don't ask). What I mean to say is that people write out their actions very cautiously, so much that there's no chance for, well, chance. Again, my personal prefercence, but I like the random numbers/dice/roulette wheel type of gameplay. That's not to say it hasn't been fun though.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:52 pm

I think I too agree that the Rathalos fight could/should have been a little more difficult. I think I tend to come on hard at first but then lighten up.
Hopefully with that realization, I can maintain a hard fight throughout, though without dragging it on.

I think form now on, to get a little more chance and randomness, I'll do the following;
I'll get a quick idea of what I think would happen in my head.
Then, I'll randomly generate a number from, we'll say 1 to 100.
Around 50 would have no real better or worse effect than what I had in mind. Straying lower than 50 would have worse effects, and higher would have better effects.
However, if I think the player is in a bad situation, and they roll well, that doesn't mean they'll get off good. They'll just get off a little better than they would have (broken arm instead of losing it).
I'll probably not display what was rolled, for convenience and to keep you guys uncertain.
Things will still appear to basically be free form, but the chance behind the scenes will be there.

Not to call anyone out (everyone but Star and Blaster), but some people haven't been posting since the Rathalos dropped. :-P Just wondering what's going on, because I am kind of holding back stuff until everyone has had a chance to react/post some.

On a side note, there's been more "revelations" than just Morgan Elram the Wyverian. :-P I dropped the "heavy bowgun that was in the window" note a couple times, plus mentioning the familiarity of the guy who was yelling.

@Glyph: Could you give me some examples of what non-linear things you might like to have happen? Not to call you out or anything, or say "what do you want to happen," just examples so I have an idea.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Well, I'm not smart enough to actually think of something : P.
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster427 Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm gonna drop out. I don't want to have to have the worry of getting the crud beat out of me even if I play it extremely carefully. You did fantastic with those battles, and you couldn't get any better. Making them harsher or adding that chance to it just ruins the whole point of free form. I think you should just keep with what your doing already. That's just my opinion though.
Blaster427
Blaster427
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunfish123 Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:39 pm

It's your choice, but I feel that you should at least try one battle with the updated system to see if you like it or not. If you don't, chances are some of us feel the same way and it can probably be changed back.

As for posting, I haven't really posted yet because there's not much for my char to do but I'll try and think of something.
Sunfish123
Sunfish123
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 pm

@Blaster: I think Sunfish said it best. I'd say give another battle a try, and if it's really problematic, changes can be made.
Bear in mind, as far as the players are concerned, its still free form. My discretion is just a little more random, but not to huge amounts.
Also, Edo is probably the least likely character to be injured, because he's a fast, small Felyne, and he's long range.
It would be kind of a shame to have you go, for a number of reasons.

@Sunfish: That's all I needed to hear. I wasn't trying to say "go post," I just wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to react to what's been going on.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster427 Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Well, it couldn't hurt to try a battle or two. I'm sorry about being so rash. I'll probably stay anyways, because I do really like it.
Blaster427
Blaster427
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekee Soen Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 am

Okay feedback. I found it hard for my character to act and react precisely the way I want during battles. I try to be meticulous enough, but yet it simply doesn't cover everything. But it's okay, I can change my playing style to be more straightforward.

As for plot, can I request you to railroad my character? I try to have my character act according to his "goal", but currently there is no incentive for him to find out more about the town. He just wants his lance repaired.

Out of character, I'm curious to see how Morgan and the high rank gunner fit into the big picture. I hope they could interact with the PCs as individuals, not just by doing things that could be done by any random NPC.
Rekee Soen
Rekee Soen
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:05 am

@Rekee: I don't know if this is the solution you're looking for, but I'll probably be throwing objectives at you guys every now and then, similar to quests. (That Yian Kut Ku is still around.) They should pertain pretty well to Wells' desire to protect.
At the same time, I'll need to figure out how to do that without being linear, as Glyph requested.

I think I'm supposed to somehow entice characters into doing what I want (learning about the city, for example), based on their character's desires and stuff. I'll have to figure out how to do that with each of the characters.

I'm definitely gonna try to integrate the higher rank characters, and Elram.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Here are the profiles of the high rank monster hunters in the Holgarde region. Your characters would know some of this information based on monster hunter word of mouth, and possibly questing with them (Rulbo people may have quested with the Rulbo high rank hunter, etc.).
I deliberately left out some information, to convey that you guys wouldn't know a whole lot about them. I also just may have left it out because I didn't feel the need to put it.

Bear in mind, there would have been other high rank monster hunters over the years, including the recent years.
They're either probably dead or moved to another town (out of the region), or something else.

As a reminder, there's other towns in the Holgarde region than the main four, but these other towns are much smaller. (I'm glad I just reminded myself of these.) These towns wouldn't have high rank hunters, or probably even medium rank hunters with them. They would send word to the main towns if they had need of such hunters.

Anyway, please read over all these profiles, regardless of your town.

Rulbo
Spoiler:
Metke
Spoiler:
Sontruma
Spoiler:
Donoto
Spoiler:

As a reminder, these guys were the ones who captured the Azure Rathalos (along with a large amount of people that get the Rathalos onto a wagon and bring it back to town, and other hunters to protect these people).
(I forgot about this during the Rathalos' appearance. He probably should have had some battle damage, even if it was minor or recovered...)

You would probably know the high rank hunter from your town a little, just from questing with them some.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am

I suppose I should let everyone know that I intend to reboot this.
When exactly this would happen is unknown, but hopefully sometimes in the moderately near future (within the month maybe).
It'll be using the Unknown Armies system. Anyone over on Minegarde knows what that is.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glyph Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

And what about everyone that isn't on Minegarde? You know, all those people like... me, I guess. But if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you debrief anyone who isn't familiar with the system? Or provide a reference to somewhere else that can?
Glyph
Glyph
Elder Dragon Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:36 pm

@Glyph: If it were anyone else, I would say yes.
[pause for laughter]*crickets*[/pause for laughter]

Yeah, I intend to copy over the necessary information at some point (now isn't the best time, due to finals).
For now, here is a link to the system write up on Minegarde (you shouldn't need to be a member to view it).
Link.

Copying it over here will probably yield formatting issues...
In any case, something can be figured out. You may not even need to be fully endowed in the system.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Andras Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Feel free to attempt copying it over. I wouldn't think too much could go wrong save for spoilers within spoilers...
Andras
Andras
Master Hunter (Staff)

https://monhun.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 am

From what I recall, this website is wonderful when it comes to copying stuff over. There's no formatting issues. (Minegarde is the opposite, even when it's copying from itself.)

However, as you pointed out, there's the spoilers within spoilers issue, and the write up has multiple layers of spoilers.
We'll see what happens. Either way it won't be too bad.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by 17dragonboy Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:24 pm

17dragonboy wrote:From what I recall, this website is wonderful when it comes to copying stuff over. There's no formatting issues. (Minegarde is the opposite, even when it's copying from itself.)
I spoke too soon. See the new thread.

Anyway, regarding this RPG, aside from the system, I'm unsure as to how to run it. I essentially want to know what your guys' preference is.

The two styles I've got in my head at the moment are Monster Hunter focused and a more social (echoing from Minegarde).

I'd say things have been more Monster Hunter focused so far. You're given straightforward objectives and go about completing them. Plot is the reasoning behind why the tasks are done.

With social, there would still be Monster Hunter tasks to do, but it would also be up to you to figure out what's going on behind the scenes. Investigation, etc.
Social skills (lying, persuasion) would be used more here.

I can see the Monster Hunter focus being more linear. Granted, you could go about your objectives however you wish. Mystery and stuff would gradually be revealed, but also sort of fed to you.

I hope that's some kind of indication as to what I'm asking. I can try to elaborate more if needed.
I kind of need to get this figured out before I do anything else.
17dragonboy
17dragonboy
Master Hunter (Staff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster427 Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Seeing the way Holgarde was going, I think a social type would fit it better. I like how you have a mystery there, like who dun did it. I'm still suspicious of Jordan, too. But you were also doing a good job with it the way it was. It's more up to you.
Blaster427
Blaster427
Wyvern Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekee Soen Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 pm

If it means more mystery, I'd prefer social.

then again, being already involved in two different rpgs - a mystery-rpg (Duvessa) and a MH-rpg (experiments) - I might lose interest in this one...unless the mystery is really interesting. :b
Rekee Soen
Rekee Soen
Prey Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next